Sunday 16 March 2014

Fleet Half Marathon 2014 #3in14


    Well this was the big one the third in the half marathon trilogy! And the big one in the Peddle Vs Ball brothers rivalry. I was feeling the pressure big time I could not go 0-3 down could I? I knew I would have to have a big run and a better time than the last 2 weeks I wanted to make coach Paula proud. Well after last week’s rather warm weather I expected it to be like last year’s Fleet half very wet and horrible but it was a beautiful day a bit too warm for running though.
    We all met up near the start and what a turn out! So many friends were there loads of Cove Joggers and loads of mates from parkrun and of course the Peddle brothers. Chris & David had not taken part in a half marathon for a long time and they had trained hard for this day. Unfortunately Chris had come down with man flu and after an amazing PB at parkrun last weekend I had managed to beat him on yesterday’s parkrun so I feeling confident that the balls might get a weekend win!
We all headed to the line and I was getting nervous about running with Chris as his training has been pretty quick and of course James was full of confidence after back to back wins under his belt. Coach Rich had a plan to run under 1hr50 so we all lined up around him at the start. As we set off in the first mile Chris was on a mission and pulled ahead a bit and so did the quickest amongst us Abby :-) that’s not surprise as she regularly beats us all at parkrun that girl can run! James was sticking to his plan to run with Rich so I tagged onto Chris and we pulled out a bit of a lead by mile 2. As we ran through the town centre the support was brilliant loads of friends had turned out to see us running and to my surprise loads and loads of people where calling my name! The chap next to me mentioned this and it turns out his name was Duncan and he had also his name on his shirt. I was running quite well as we approached mile 4 probably a bit quick and the heat meant it was important to take on water. I remember James had a plan to stop and walk because they only had cups and it’s tricky to run and drink. So as the cups approached I decided to grab and just keep on running it could gain me some valuable seconds.

     I could see Chris in my sights and was closing him down as we approached 6 miles. I glanced down at my watch and I had just done the first 10km in 51mins 3 quicker than last week! Maybe I had set off way too quick. I was now running on my own and I was feeling good a lot fresher than last week and I was knocking off the miles heading towards the 9 mile marker. I had no idea what was going on behind me but I could sense if I didn’t keep on pushing i'd have Chris and James on my tale. 
Coach Rich went passed me at mile 10 and this had me worried I managed to ask him where James was and he said I was well in front. So mile 10 onwards was where it all fell apart last week and mentally I was thinking it could happen again but I was feeling a little better than last week. I had to dig hard as there seemed to be hill after hill in the last 3 miles. The heat was tough and it was getting harder to keep it together and at the drinks station at mile 11 I had a little walk for 100 meters.
I knew that i couldn't do that again until i pushed over the line. The next mile was really tough and running back into town at mile 12 the crowd was cheering everybody on and it was really lifting me to push on to the end. The last hill and 400 meters seams to go on forever and I was tempted to look back to see if either James or Chris or maybe Dave had closed me down. But I put my head down and forced myself over the finishing line and what a relief I had done it!!.



I staggered round for a few minutes taking on water and catching some shade. James had been beaten and I found him collapsed in a heap as worst for wear as me. We had a hug and I he was almost gracious in defeat :-). As for the Peddles Chris suffered but completed his first Half for 20 years in just over 2 hours and Dave had an amazing run in 2:04. It had been a long hard and hot run! Maybe up there with the toughest half marathons we have done but I had buried my demons 1-2.

    Duncan finished in 1:51:23 a seasons best!.Smashed James who finished in 1:55:07

1 comment:

  1. Excellent blog and a great insight into your race plan, I'll know more for next time ;-) Really was a great morning spent with everyone and good to have a detailed account of it here. Nice one and EPIC run!

    ReplyDelete