Sunday 9 March 2014

Surrey Half Marathon 2014 #2in14


Last week’s Reading Half was the first in our 14in14 challenge and this week was a homecoming for the Ball Brothers. Surrey Half is a brand new event and we had been looking forward to running in our home town of Guildford. Also this day was special because my friends Lee and Martin were attempting there first half marathons and they had been training for this day for months. We also had Abby, Hannah, Kelvin, Rich, David Mac and Martin G joining us for #2in14.
The weather was bright and sunny and by the time it was 10am warming up. No need for bin liners this week but we were all sporting our rather attractive Surrey Half Buffs that had been given in the race pack. I had been planning with Abby for a few days that we were going to go out a bit quick and see how James reacted to the pace but unfortunately we lost her on the start line so the rest of us started just behind the 1:58 pacing flag.


The first few miles we started off at a good steady pace and all ran together in a tight group soaking up the atmosphere of the spectators as they shouted our names out. It’s the best idea James had getting our names written on our shirts! As I had expected the scenery was very familiar and it seemed strange to be running on roads that I had driven on for years ,only with running the hills are so much more noticeable. As we approached mile 4 I decided to run a little harder and I pulled a gap out from the others I thought this was the only chance I had to get my revenge on James for last week’s defeat. As I approached mile 5 because of the out and back nature of the course the leaders pass me on the other side of the road unbelievable how quick the Kenyan runners whizzed by!. Just before the half way point heard a shout from Abby on the other side of the road she was having a great run and as expected well ahead. As Woking approached there was a big hill to get up and it was head down until water station in the centre. As I turned the corner I was looking for the boys on the other side of the road. James was first to appear and I had put out a lead of about ¼ of a mile I didn’t see the others as the course out of town went a slightly different route. As I came up to the 8 mile mark the heat was taking its toll. 
Was taking as much water on as I could but I was feeling worst as I approached mile 10! At the 10 mile water station I decide to walk! and put on some music to try and drag me to the finish. I didn’t really help and I pushed through to 11 and had another walk. At this point I knew James must be closing in on me and I was just waiting for him to pull up to my shoulder. I happened at just after 12 miles I heard his voice I was walking when he stop beside me. James was exhausted as I was!!
We ran and walked for the next half mile but I knew he had me beat as his finish is always better than mine and saw him pulling away for the 2nd week running.. heart breaking ! As I ran down the sandy lane towards the running track for the last 300 meters I could hear loads of support from the crowd and I gave it a last push for the line. James had me beat but I we proud that we had both finished well in the conditions and as it turns out both under 2 hours that was a surprise for us both.

 It was emotional end to the run as we all met up to exchange stories about how we dragged ourselves around the hilly course and hot conditions. Was particularly proud of Lee and Martin who had both done really well for first timers. Everybody walked with very sore legs into Guildford for lunch at Giraffe and a post mortem on how James managed to beat Duncan for the 2nd week running. Next week is Fleet Half will I have my revenge? !! (I hope So)
James finished in 1:56:46 and showed me his heals again I came in on 1:57:19 gutted.

No comments:

Post a Comment